Stop 4 The 'Bottom Don' General Store
Stand at the middle roundabout on Goldie street and look over to the Federal Hotel building on the corner.
- The very first hotel on this site was a weatherboard building called the Royal Hotel. Mr John Bauld was the first licensee in 1892-93.
- In 1910 an advertisement in the local newspaper offered “a large paddock, well grassed and fenced, for the use of drovers”.
- This building was destroyed by fire in 1913 and in 1914 the present brick building was erected, with the licensee being Mr Martin Cryan.
- In 1928 the Federal Hotel hosted a special breakfast to celebrate the arrival of the first commercial airline flight in to the Wynyard Airport. Dishes on the menu included 2 soups, 5 meat courses (including roast goose, roast beef and corned beef) and 5 desserts (including apple pie, queen pudding and tipsy trifle).
- The hotel was purchased by the Federal group in 1999 following the 1997 rollout of poker machines and was renamed Hotel Federal.
- Got a story or memory of this site? Send us an email so we can add your knowledge of this site to our website to make it even better!