This used to be the premier theatre in Burnie. Constructed along the northern side of the old town hall and theatre, in 1931. The new Burnie theatre had seating for 1500 and was designed by Melbourne architects. The Cost of the building was approximately 10,000 pounds. Initially opened as the Burnie Theatre, it was changed to the star theatre in 1936.