These Basalt columns were used to quarry thousands of tons of rocks from the 1800s into the 20th century. The original Basalt columns protruded further north than they do today after substantial quarrying of the columns.
Beach hotel was originally known as Sea View hotel and was built in 1901 by the Wiseman Family. (Of Central hotel fame). Whilst it was built for Cyril Davy, who married Dorothy Wiseman, he only stayed in the business for a year, before returning to farming.
This site has been a chemist for many years. HG spicer’s chemist was one of Burnie’s first businesses, commencing trade in 1887. Later the property was bought in 1923 by Frank Ivey and continues to trade as a chemist on the same site. The original weatherboard shop was rebuilt as a two story brick establishment.
Wilson street circa 1900s, with the central image of a man and a wheelbarrow in the distance, possibly collecting horse manure off the street. Wilson street remains one of the main shopping strips in Burnie.
Ah Pease’ s shoe shop is located on Wilson street, and was established by Alfred H Pease, in 1925. Generations of the Pease family have worked in the Wilson street stores, and have expanded to Wynyard, Ulverstone and Launceston.
At one time this store sold many things to make some dough. Now it makes dough all day long. AW Tattersall’s Hardware store was built in 1902 and operated at this site until 1960.
WT Bell Auction House- These gentlemen were responsible for conducting cattle Auctions in the North and Northwest, and their offices were located in this building and in Launceston until 1939. (The Advocate 11 Feb 1939, p 12)
Cattley street, offered a range of shops, and eateries- not dissimilar to contemporary Cattley street offerings. It also provided somewhere for the kids to ride their bikes and make mischief no doubt!
Cattley street was once dominated by a grand Town Hall, where public meetings, forums, elegant balls, and community events were held. The original buildings were built by the Burnie Institute and later expanded in 1888 to become a much grander building.
This used to be the premier theatre in Burnie. Constructed along the northern side of the old town hall and theatre, in 1931. The new Burnie theatre had seating for 1500 and was designed by Melbourne architects. The Cost of the building was approximately 10,000 pounds. Initially opened as the Burnie Theatre, it was changed to the star theatre in 1936.
Once the site of Emu Bay Times and then the Advocate, with the same Norfolk pine planted in front of the Anglican Church all these years later. This pine has been decorated with thousands of programmable LED lights, to create a spectacular show in Christmas, but also to mark other events and days of significance.
At one time this part of the street was home to some of Burnie’s early residents. Children would play on the dirt road in front, and recently planted trees lined one-half of the street. The original houses still exist within the modern structures, their facades obscuring their original roof line.