At one time this was one of Burnie’s main commercial streets. Several shops, public houses, and hotels lined the street. At the port end, there were Steamer agents and trading stores, and at the spring street and, Burnie’s first undertaker.
The first Bay View Hotel was constructed in 1875 by prominent local businessman, Captain William Jones. Here, a two storey weatherboard building was erected, generally known as Jones’ Hotel. Jones and his family lived on site until 1878, before leasing the hotel. Thomas Wiseman became the eventual owner in 1884.
Goodmans Skin Buying Store. Started in the early 1900s, the Goodman’s eventually sold their business after 6 years to South Australian Skins merchants, Willcox-Mofflin & co. They left for an extended tour of England and the continent”. They came back to Burnie eventually starting a new produce store, Goodman’s Produce in Marine terrace and later the VDL Co. building.
Union Line Steamers- Built near the site of the Goodman skins merchants, offered a weekly sailing to Sydney and on to New Zealand from the port of Burnie and Devonport. They began their service in 1883 with their ships, Pateena and Flora
This was the site of the majestic Van Diemen Land Company Store. Built in 1901 on the site of the original company stores established in 1827 the building continued to operate as a produce store after the Van Diemen Land Co. dwindled. It eventually was demolished in the 1970s to create a car park, and eventually, the current cinema was constructed on the same site.
Burnie’s port was one of the State’s main gateways for products in and out of Tasmania, and still is to this day. The key export was potatoes until Burnie’s industrial expansion in the 1930s. At times there were in excess of 25,000 bags of potatoes awaiting loading at the wharf.
Beach hotel was originally known as Sea View hotel and was built in 1901 by the Wiseman Family. (Of Central hotel fame). Whilst it was built for Cyril Davy, who married Dorothy Wiseman, he only stayed in the business for a year, before returning to farming.
This site has been a chemist for many years. HG spicer’s chemist was one of Burnie’s first businesses, commencing trade in 1887. Later the property was bought in 1923 by Frank Ivey and continues to trade as a chemist on the same site. The original weatherboard shop was rebuilt as a two story brick establishment.
Wilson street circa 1900s, with the central image of a man and a wheelbarrow in the distance, possibly collecting horse manure off the street. Wilson street remains one of the main shopping strips in Burnie.
Ah Pease’ s shoe shop is located on Wilson street, and was established by Alfred H Pease, in 1925. Generations of the Pease family have worked in the Wilson street stores, and have expanded to Wynyard, Ulverstone and Launceston.
At one time this store sold many things to make some dough. Now it makes dough all day long. AW Tattersall’s Hardware store was built in 1902 and operated at this site until 1960.
This streetscape has changed a bit, and so has the traffic. The sounds you would hear along this street would have been very different from what you hear today. It was a key commercial area for Wynyard, as it is today.