At one time this was one of Burnie’s main commercial streets. Several shops, public houses, and hotels lined the street. At the port end, there were Steamer agents and trading stores, and at the spring street and, Burnie’s first undertaker.
The first Bay View Hotel was constructed in 1875 by prominent local businessman, Captain William Jones. Here, a two storey weatherboard building was erected, generally known as Jones’ Hotel. Jones and his family lived on site until 1878, before leasing the hotel. Thomas Wiseman became the eventual owner in 1884.