Mr Slater the boatbuilder used to build his boats on this site- it was a thriving little enterprise for many years. Prior to that, this hut was the office of the Moore & Quiggan saw mill.
This part of Camp creek was a lot busier than it is today. It would be hardly recognisable to people who lived and worked in this area. It was an important point for shipbuilding and timber exports.
Shiploads have not been the only general merchandise shop on this site. The business became Peacock and Lewis in 1923. The building was destroyed by fire in 1925.
This street used to be known as Main street. It housed many shops as it does today, but the traffic was a lot different.