Tasmania Living History QR Code Walks

Stop 3 20 Alexander Street

Features of this two-storey commercial/residential building include an exaggerated eyebrow lip and subtle stepping in the window recesses. It was constructed as a private residence by Mr A. P Best (known to all as Abbie, described as a lovable larrikin). The Bests lived upstairs and their daughter, Mrs Rita Hughes, ran a hairdressing salon in the downstairs section. When the Bests eventually moved out, Mrs Hughes and her husband Cecil occupied the upstairs

Stop 2 Goodyear Tyre Shop / Communion Brewery

In 1936, Carter & Peace constructed this building for the Dunlop Rubber Co. It later became the showroom for General Motors cars, and accommodation for visiting salesman was added to the rear. A distinctive feature is the pair of squared-off towers.

Stop 1 Apartments Downtown

Constructed in 1937 to a design by prominent Melbourne architects Hugh and Arthur Peck, this striking ‘style moderne’ block of ten flats in red brick features was purpose-built as rental accommodation. It has curved walls punctuated with contrasting lines and a flat roof. It represented the latest in European styling. The block also featured a row of garages on the boundary – an indication of sophistication in interwar Burnie. It is now a privately run hostel.