This building features organic shaped symmetrical elipse windows.
The Lighthouse is a two storey commercial building, characterised by a distinctive stepped window treatment. This is now a real estate agency.
A blacksmith occupied this site until 1951, when the hotel was constructed for Mrs Tucker, who then ran it for twelve years before selling it to the Tasmanian Brewery. They leased it to licensee Dick Jones and later to Max Green, prominent footballer with the Cooee Football Club.
The hotel was designed by the prominent architects Roy, Smith and Willing from Launceston and was built by the owner’s son, Tom Tucker, who carried out most of the concrete construction on his own in an era before ready-mixed concrete.
Features of this two-storey commercial/residential building include an exaggerated eyebrow lip and subtle stepping in the window recesses. It was constructed as a private residence by Mr A. P Best (known to all as Abbie, described as a lovable larrikin). The Bests lived upstairs and their daughter, Mrs Rita Hughes, ran a hairdressing salon in the downstairs section. When the Bests eventually moved out, Mrs Hughes and her husband Cecil occupied the upstairs
In 1936, Carter & Peace constructed this building for the Dunlop Rubber Co. It later became the showroom for General Motors cars, and accommodation for visiting salesman was added to the rear. A distinctive feature is the pair of squared-off towers.
Constructed in 1937 to a design by prominent Melbourne architects Hugh and Arthur Peck, this striking ‘style moderne’ block of ten flats in red brick features was purpose-built as rental accommodation. It has curved walls punctuated with contrasting lines and a flat roof. It represented the latest in European styling. The block also featured a row of garages on the boundary – an indication of sophistication in interwar Burnie. It is now a privately run hostel.