Stop 5 Sportspower / The Old Star Theatre
Heading westward along Cattley street , stop near the corner of Cattley and mount street on the North side. Look across to Sportspower.
The below button will launch your google maps application and the custom google map which plots this specific walk.
Built in 1931 by the Emu Bay council, the new theatre with 1500 seating, was designed by Melbourne architects. The warden of Burnie Cr Sam Bird, said “its provision gave Burnie a boost in the midst of the Depression and provided the town with the most modern theatre in the state.” (Pink, 2000) The Advocate praised the new Theatre for the lavish tiled foyer with leadlight doors, luxurious upstairs dress circle and carpeted lounge.
The theatre served as a hub for cultural events until the completion of the Civic Centre in 1976. As well as screening films the theatre was used for concerts, and musicals- with its moveable seating being able to facilitate formal balls- which were the highlight of the Burnie social calendar until 1960s. Dancing in the theatre, with suppers served in the adjoining Town Hall.
The town hall and part of the Burnie Star Theatre were demolished in 1976, with the final demolition of the facade of the Burnie Theatre completed in 2000s.
Kids saved their pocket money to attend the Saturday afternoon matinees, lining up to see the newest adventures of Flash Gordon, The phantom, or The Lone ranger.
Star Theatres eventually built a new cinema in 1955 further up Mount street, which saw this theatre close.