Tasmania Living History QR Code Walks

Burnie Art Deco Walk

Locations within this tour

Stop 1 Apartments Downtown

Constructed in 1937 to a design by prominent Melbourne architects Hugh and Arthur Peck, this striking 'style moderne' block of ten flats in red brick ...
Location Detail

Stop 2 Goodyear Tyre Shop / Communion Brewery

In 1936, Carter & Peace constructed this building for the Dunlop Rubber Co. It later became the showroom for General Motors cars, and accommodation for ...
Location Detail

Stop 3 20 Alexander Street

Features of this two-storey commercial/residential building include an exaggerated eyebrow lip and subtle stepping in the window recesses. It was constructed as a private residence ...
Location Detail

Stop 4 Regent Hotel

A blacksmith occupied this site until 1951, when the hotel was constructed for Mrs Tucker, who then ran it for twelve years before selling it ...
Location Detail

Stop 5 Lighthouse Building

The Lighthouse is a two storey commercial building, characterised by a distinctive stepped window treatment. This is now a real estate agency.
Location Detail

Stop 6 Jeans West Building

This building features organic shaped symmetrical elipse windows.
Location Detail

Stop 7 Subway Building

This stylish grouping of shops and offices remain intact on the exterior and illustrate the smooth rounded form of streamlined design. They present a consistent ...
Location Detail

Stop 8 Rivers

The Maples Furniture chain constructed stores in Moderne style throughout Australia, including this store in 1939. The builders were Carter & Peace and it was ...
Location Detail

Stop 9 Trustee House

In the early 1920s, this substantial double-storey building on a prominent corner was occupied by the The Union Bank of Australia and later the Launceston ...
Location Detail

Stop 10 Lincoln House

Streamlined design, with vertical fins rising above the roofline at one end, finished in shiny fawn terracotta. On the first floor façade, two sets of ...
Location Detail

Stop 11 41 Cattley Street

Originally built for Crisp Hudson and Mann Barristers and Solicitors. Entry was through a single door at the left. It was later re-modelled and windows ...
Location Detail

Stop 12 The Advocate Building

Following the destruction by fire of the original Advocate building, the two-storey symmetrical building was purpose-built for newspaper production in early 1920s. Further additions were ...
Location Detail

Stop 13 Ladbrooke Street

Classic art deco features are observed in the simple balanced lines.
Location Detail

Stop 14 Corner Ladbrooke and Wilson Street

Large two-storey commercial building which wraps around the corner and includes a lip over the doors and windows.
Location Detail

Stop 15 Portside Building

Constructed in 1946, the former Burnie Technical School was one of a number of outstanding designs by the main architect from Tasmania’s Public Works Dept., ...
Location Detail

Stop 16 The Old Butter Factory

The building was constructed by M M Smith from South Burnie in as a butter factory for the Northwest Co-operative Dairy Co. Note the rounded ...
Location Detail

Stop 17 30 Marine Terraces

The building began life in 1938 as the Vogue Theatre, constructed by Len Frith – in competition with the Star Theatre in Mount Street. ...
Location Detail

Stop 18 McGrath and Co

Constructed by Herbert Woods in the 1880’s, it was originally Fairthorne’s chemist shop. It remained as a pharmacy for many years until occupied by Dr. ...
Location Detail

Walk Specifics

Art Deco, known also as Style Moderne, had its genesis in the exposition Internationale des Arts Decoratifs et Industrial Modernes held in Paris in 1925, where the style was first exhibited. The style features sleek lines, geometric and symmetrical repetition of ornamentation. 

Burnie was fortunate to have the services of a number of high-quality building firms during the interwar period. The most prominent was Carter & Peace who operated from the 1920s to the 1970s, occupying a site in Wilson St. next to the Beach Hotel. They built many of the prominent commercial buildings in the CBD and many local houses. The firm had also built the original Burnie own Hall in Cattley St. Tom Carter’s son recalled that its demolition in 1976 caused his father much distress as he watched on. The construction premises used by the firm (including a sawmill, joinery and building yard) is now occupied by Toyworld. Numerous local builders served their apprenticeship with the company, including Lou Stubbs who went on to establish Stubbs Construction. Local builders Aubrey Keane, Pat Streets, Les Clark, Roy Preece and John Vincent were also apprentices of Carter & Peace in the 1930s.

In other parts of Australia, builders also designed many buildings. Whilst this may have occurred in Burnie, many local interwar buildings were designed by prominent architects, from Tasmania and the mainland. Hobart-born Colin Philp is regarded as “one of the entrepreneurial leaders of Modernism in Tasmania”. He designed the original Wrest Point Hotel in Hobart and a number of buildings in Launceston, whilst in Burnie he was responsible for a large house in Wilson St. (Arden), and a number of commercial premises.

As the key architect for the Tasmanian government, Sidney W T Blythe designed a series of impressive schools throughout Tasmania, including the Burnie Technical School. Now known as Portside,
it was designed in 1941 but WWII delayed its construction until 1946. 

Roy Smith & Willing worked on the Beach Hotel. Later a number of commissions were undertaken by Melbourne firms, such as the leading modernists, Seabrook & Fildes, who updated the interior and sections of the exterior of the Beach Hotel. As is
often the way with hotels, a later upgrade of the premises in 1960 removed much of the previous design.

Information in this walk is taken in part from the Burnie Art Deco Walk brochure. Burnie City Council.